Today I want to share with you delicious and yet healing food recipes with rhubarb that my wife likes to pamper me with.
So let’s just dive right in.
1. Rice Pudding with Rhubarb and Strawberry Sauce
- 8 oz. of chopped rhubarb
- 27 oz. of water
- 16 oz. of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- one pinch of nutmeg
- 7 oz. of long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 oz. of mascarpone
- 2 oz. of sugar
- 5 oz. of Porto wine Porto
- 10 oz. of sliced strawberries
- Using a bowl, mix the strawberries with 0.7 oz. of sugar.
- Then use a small pan to boil the wine mixed with 0.17 oz. of sugar. Let it boil for 7 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Then add the rhubarb and let it boil for another 7 minutes.
- Heat up the water (but don’t let it boil).
- And in another pan, heat up the milk with the rest of the sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add one small cup of warm water in a pan and add the rice. Let this composition simmer until there’s no more liquid left.
- Then add another cup of water and again, allow it to simmer until it evaporates.
- Repeat this procedure until the whole water is gone and then begin adding one cup of milk and mix until the milk is completely absorbed before adding the next cup of milk.
- This entire process shouldn’t take you more than a half hour.
- Add the vanilla extract and after a few minutes remove the cauldron from the fire and add the mascarpone.
- Oh, and once it’s cooled off you can even add a few slices of strawberries on top.
That’s how I like to eat it.
2. Rhubarb, Green Bean and Almond Salad
- 2 stalks of rhubarb, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 handfuls of green beans
- 2 large handfuls of arugula (or spinach)
- a handful of toasted almond
- 1 ball of mozzarella, chopped into small pieces
For the dressing:
- Take the juice from one orange 1, and mix it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and seasoning
This is my favorite because it can be done within minutes. Just grab the ingredients and mix everything together in a large bowl.
3. Pickled Rhubarb, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
Ingredients (to make the pickled rhubarb):
- 5 oz. of water
- 5 oz. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 oz. of brown sugar
- black pepper
- a couple bay leaves
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 rhubarb stalk cut into thick slices
- 1 handful of arugula
- ½ bulb of fennel
- 5 oz. of goat cheese
- Put everything together in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Then bring the fire to a low until the sugar dissolves
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the rhubarb pieces.
- Leave it there until the liquid cools off completely.
- Take the rhubarb out of the liquid and mix it with the arugula, fennel and goat cheese.
To make the dressing:
Mix 3 tablespoons of that pickled liquid with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Then drizzle it over the salad.
4. Food of Lentils with Rhubarb
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 5 oz. of lentils
- 27 oz. of vegetable soup
- 6 oz. of tomato paste
- 14 oz. of chopped rhubarb
This food is specific in Kurdistan, usually served as a side-dish to lamb.
- In a small saucepan, fry the onion in a little olive oil.
- Then add the 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and the turmeric and leave it for 2 minutes.
- Add 100 g of boiled lentils with 800 ml vegetable soup and boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and the rhubarb and then leave it for 15 minutes on the fire while covering the
5. Rhubarb and Apricot Chutney
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup dried dates, chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup port
- 2 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
- ¼ tsp mustard seed
- ¼ tsp ground coriander seed
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the onions, dates, apricots, brown sugar, vinegar, port and garlic in a saucepan, over medium heat and let them simmer.
- Then start adding the rhubarb, alongside all the other spices (mustard seeds, coriander, cumin, cardamom), lemon juice and Dijon mustard and mix everything together.
- Over a low heat, let this composition simmer for 20 minutes until the rhubarb becomes soft and the liquid thickens.
- Then let it cool and dig in. It goes great with cheese or chicken, duck or lamb.
What other rhubarb recipes do you know?
I’d love to find out more about them.
I’m looking forward to reading your replies. Don’t forget to LIKE and SHARE.
To your health!