Living

Common Plants Toxic For Your Pets? Find Out Which Ones Are The Most Dangerous

I also have a few pets and I know that the relationship between the caregiver and their pet is very special.

dog and owner imageTheir ability to offer so much unconditional affection, loyalty, and to keep our moods elevated are only some of the reasons why we keep them so close to our homes and hearts.

We would do almost anything for our pets, to keep them healthy, safe, and happy.

However, did you know that some of the plants that you keep in the house or in your garden could be poisonous for them?

Here is some common poisonous plants that you should steer away from:

Tulip / Narcissus

The bulb of this plant has a high toxin concentration.

Symptoms to be aware of are:

  • Intense gastrointestinal irritation
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression
  • Convulsions
  • Cardiac abnormalities

Oleander

Don’t get fooled by its beauty because all parts of this plant contains a highly toxic cardiac glycoside which severely affects cats, dogs, and even horses.

oleander

Symptoms to be aware of are: 

  • Colics
  • Diarrhea (possibly bloody)
  • Sweating
  • Incoordination
  • Shallow or difficult breathing
  • Muscle tremors
  • Possibly death from cardiac failure

Milkweed

Although used to attract butterflies, their toxicity can be quite harmful for your pets.

milkweed

Symptoms to be aware of are:

  • Vomiting
  • Profound depression
  • Weakness
  • Anorexia
  • Diarrhea

These symptoms may be followed by seizures, difficulty breathing, rapid, weak pulse, dilated pupils, kidney or liver failure, coma, respiratory paralysis, and eventually death.

Ivy

No matter which type of ivy you have, its foliage is more toxic than berries.

ivy

Common symptoms after ingesting include:

  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Hypersalivation
  • Diarrhea

Daffodil

daffodil

Its bulbs are the most toxic part.

Signs that your pet ingested daffodils are:

  • Vomiting
  • Hypersalivation
  • Diarrhea

Large ingestions may cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors, and cardiac arrhythmias.

Gladiola

Again, be aware of the bulb because it can cause:

  • Salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea

Chrysanthemum

It can cause depression and loss of coordination if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.

chrysanthemum

Other symptoms you might observe are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hypersalivation
  • Dermatitis

Begonia

The most toxic parts of this plant are the tubers.

begonia

Symptoms you need to be aware of are:

  • Oral irritation
  • Intense burning
  • Irritation of mouth, tongue and lips
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing

Castor Bean Plant 

This plant is highly toxic for your pet and immediate care is mandatory. The ingestion of even one ounce of seeds can be lethal.

castor bean

The symptoms appear between 12 to 48 hours after ingestion and include:

  • oral irritation
  • burning of mouth and throat
  • excessive thirst
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • kidney failure
  • convulsions
  • loss of appetite
  • weakness
  • colics
  • trembling
  • sweating
  • loss of coordination
  • difficulty breathing
  • progressive depression
  • fever

As syndrome progresses, bloody diarrhea may occur, and convulsions and coma can precede death.

Carnations

Although the least poisonous of them all, it can still cause mild gastrointestinal signs and mild dermatitis.

carnations

Tomato Plant

tomato plant

Although not lethal, it can still cause quite of discomfort, such as:

  • hypersalivation
  • lack of appetite
  • severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea
  • drowsiness
  • CNS depression
  • confusion
  • behavioral change
  • weakness
  • dilated pupils
  • slow heart rate

If you want to check if the plants in your home (maybe they have not been stated in my list) are a risk to your precious pet, you can access this link https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

What can you do in the dreadful event that your pet ingests a poisonous plant?

  • The best thing that you can do is to remove that plant from your pet’s mouth if you can and determine what plant is it.
  • If you can’t or don’t know, it’s best to keep it safe and close to you so that the veterinary can find out precisely what it is.
  • If you find yourself in such a situation you can require more information, you can call ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435.

Information is key when it comes to keeping the ones we love and ourselves healthy. Knowledge is power, use it wisely.

Please leave a like if you enjoyed this article and let me know your thoughts in the comment section.

You Might Also Like